At the May Open Forum, Lorraine Miller from St. Philip Benizi gave a short presentation followed by discussion about “Discernment.”
Christian discernment in the RCIA is an awareness of the movement of the Holy Spirit and the signs of the Spirit in a person’s life. It involves recognizing exterior habits and dispositions as reflecting interior change. It requires attentive listening and observation to detect conversion. During the RCIA process, candidates and catechumens should be given the opportunity to discern in dialogue with clergy, team members or director.
Discernment during the formal RCIA proccess should happen at minimum in the following times:
- Initial Interview
- Resource: Seek the Living God: 5 Inquiry questions for Making Disciples by Nick Wagner
- My Journey With Jesus Handouts
- Rite of Acceptance/Welcome
- Read Paragraph 43 from the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults
- Rite of Election
- Read Paragraph 120 from the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults
Further Reading: Article by Nick Wagner: Are you Worried That Your RCIA Seekers Aren’t Ready?
Join us for the next “Open Forum” on September 17th at 12:30pm at the Chancery. We will discuss “Marriage Issues and the RCIA.”